Monday, December 29, 2008

Public displays of acceleration


Remember when it cost only ten bucks if you were caught doing a burnout downtown? In traffic? They called it excessive noise, tires. Then there was excessive noise, pipes. Ten bucks! Apparently, I had a very noisy automobile. After about two hundred bucks, there was traffic school. That was free! I picked up another ticket as I was leaving the graduation ceremony. Apparently my tires had learned nothing. Ten bucks!

I have another '56 chevy now just like the one I had in high school. Same color even! I'm a much better driver than I was back then, but that first little chevy didn't cost quite as much as this one did. Parts were cheaper too, and I remember a lot of things broke when I was being excessive. I'm still showin' off and it still costs money. Entry fees. Ten bucks, Twenty bucks, and sometimes even more. But it's quieter and I don't break things.

Well it's getting late and this old man is about ready for the lazy-boy. Watch a little TV and call it a day. Or maybe I'll go downtown...



2 comments:

  1. Its so cool seeing the American past drive by from time to time. Without people like yourself, with your passion for the old iron people like me would just have to try to remember. Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I am hunting for work! If you ever need a lumber rack or something useful added to these old and antiquated vehicles WELDED in place, (I hate bolts) just let me know. I have lots of rattle cans so I can make the paint repairs almosat perfect! but, rust is cheaper. jerry

    ReplyDelete