Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sideways in second





I'm 62. Apparently, I'm going to have a hard time growing up. I'm a responsible adult most of the time, or at least part of the time if you talk to the people who know me best. I pay my bills, keep my grass mowed, and buy whatever the little neighbor kids are selling. However, somethings haven't changed since High School.


The small block and four speed are now in the '55 and when that gear reduction starter twists some life into it, It is 1965 again! The body lifts a little with the first stab of the throttle (totally unnecessary) and when the low rumble starts, the years start falling away. By the time it is warmed up enough to move, the white haired old man is a kid. Some wonder how I lived through my first childhood. I hope this one lasts forever. I hope I don't get sent to driving school again.

In 1966, the city of Eugene thought it would be a good idea if I attended their driving school. If I remember correctly, it wasn't an option. The judge mentioned something about 21 tickets in a year wasn't acceptable. The classes were given under city hall and we parked in the parking garage there. I went, I passed and was given the certificate that said I was now a responsible driver. As I was leaving the garage, to celebrate the completion their boring class, I laid a couple of long black marks most of the way up to the sidewalk. There I was met by one of Eugene's finest. He saw my driving certificate on the seat next to me and said something about "slow learner". He then wrote ticket number 22.

I can't remember when I got my last ticket. It has been over twenty ago, of that I'm sure. Maybe I have grown up a little. Maybe I have just gotten lucky. I am a better driver now than when I was in High School, but yesterday I got sideways in second.

John


1 comment: